Friday, December 11, 2009

Ram Mounts Arrive

Last week, I ordered some Ram-Mount devices to mount my GPS and iPod/XM Inno devices to my FJR. Previously, I used the cheap, jury-rig method of zip-tying some mounts to the handlebars. But, the Ram-Mount stuff arrived this afternoon, so now I’m stylin’. Click on the photos for hi-res (15 Megapixel) images.

Devices set up on the Ram-Mounts

Devices set up on the Ram-Mounts

The nice thing about the Ram-Mount mountings is that they are really adjustable, so you can move things around so that you get a clear view of everything. The mount and device holders have rubber-coated aluminum balls, conected to a 4″ armature that tightens on both balls with a large wing nut. When you tighten the nut, it locks the mount and device in solidly.

Ram Mount for TomTom One XL-S

Ram Mount for TomTom One XL-S

This mount affixes to the top of the brake reservoir, with the ball in the center of the mount. They also have a reservoir mount with the ball sticking off to the side, if you prefer that. The mount comes with three different sets of torx screws of varying lengths, so they can fit pretty much any bike’s reservoir screws. There are 6 screw holes, so you can mount them on either two-hole reservoirs like the FJR, of a four-hole reservoir on other bikes.

Universal Ram-Mount for devices

Universal Ram-Mount for devices

I got a universal device holder because I switch out my iPod and my XM Inno unit. This is a handlebar mount which fits–barely–on the AE model of the FJR. The shift unit hogs up a lot of space that is empty on the A-model FJR’s. Despite that, I managed to get the handlebar mount properly seated.

You may notice that my Inno is all banged up. That’s because I didn’t properly secure on the old jury-rigged mount I replaced this evening. On my way home, I zommed off from a light–and left the Inno behind. It got pretty scratched and banged up, but, miraculously, no one drove over it and crushed it, and it still works fine. I think. I won’t really know until I try to listen to live programming with it tomorrow. But the recorded stuff I had on it played fine all the way home.

Wiring runs through the handlebar cable harness

Wiring runs through the handlebar cable harness

The glove box on the FJR is just big enough to hold the 12-volt power plugs. I got the Radio Shack car plug that splits the power cord into two 12-volt car plugs, and the YomTom and Inno are plugged into those and stored in the glove box. The power cables run out of the glove box, through the cable harnesses on the triple tree, then up to the devices. The power cords are small enough so that I can close and lock the glove box…which is full to the brim now with car plugs and extra cable.

Fortunately, when you turn the FJR off, it cuts power to the 12-volt car plug on the glove box, so I don’t have to open it, drag out 12 feet of cord and unplug it.

Tomorrow morning, I’ll get to test the mounts out on the road. So far, though, they seem about 1,000% better than zip-tying universal car accessory mounts to the handlebars.